Friday, March 21, 2008

Tomato Alfredo with Sausage

1 1/2 pounds Sweet Italian Sausage
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 medium bell pepper, cut into strips
2 cans (14.5 oz each) Italian-seasoned diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (15oz) can tomato sauce
1 tsp. sugar
16 oz. uncooked mostaccioli, rigatoni, or penne
1/4 cup whipping cream
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese

I use the Johnsonville Sweet Italian Sausage (Walmart sells it) This is what I use when I make dutch oven meals, manicotti, lasagna. It is so good and much better than using hamburger. Remove the casings from sausage and discard. Brown sausage (this is where your Pampered Chef Mix-n-chop will come in handy) Cook sausage about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook 2 more minutes. Stir in onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, tomato sauce and sugar. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. While sauce is cooking, cook pasta. Drain. Remove sauce from heat and gradually stir in whipping cream into sausage mixture. Serve over hot pasta and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

No comments: