Friday, March 21, 2008

Grandma's Potato Salad

I love nice, cold potato salad and have tried lots of recipes. When I made this I loved it because it tastes just like my grandma's. I think the secret is using dill pickle juice instead of vinegar.

3 pounds potatoes (about 8 medium)
6 hard cooked eggs, chopped
3 celery ribs, chopped
6 green onions, chopped
2 medium dill pickles, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups mayo
1/4 cup dill pickle juice
4 1/2 tsp. prepared mustard
1 tsp. celery seed
1 heaping tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Place potatoes in dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 min. or until tender. Drain and cool.

Peel and cube potatoes and place in a large bowl. Add the eggs, celery, onions, and pickles. In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, pickle juice, mustard, celery seed, salt and pepper. Pour over potato mixture; mix well. Place sliced boiled eggs on top and sprinkle with paprika. Cover and refrigerate at least four hours. Yield 8-10 servings. Taste of Home June 03

No comments: