I got this from Allrecipes, and it was sooo good and pretty easy. I'm putting it on slightly modified to my liking, per reviews on the site. Feel free to check out the recipe on the site as well. You do have to start the sauce about 2-3 hours earlier than the rest of the stuff.
Sauce:
1 1/2 cups water
2 TBS orange juice
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup rice vinegar
2 1/2 TBS soy sauce
1 TBS grated orange zest
1/2 cup packed brown sugar (original recipe calls for 1 cup of sugar, I just couldn't do that, we thought 1/2 cup was perfect)
1/2 tsp minced fresh ginger root
1/2 tsp minced garlic
2 TBS chopped green onion
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (I didn't even put this in)
Chicken:
2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 TBS cornstarch
2 TBS water
3 TBS olive oil for frying (I did end up using more than this)
1. Pour into saucepan 1 1/2 cups water, orange juice, lemon juice, rice vinegar, and soy sauce; and set over medium heat. Stir in orange zest, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, and chopped onion. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat, and let cool 10-15 minutes.
2. Place chicken pieces into a resealable plastic bag. When contents of saucepan have cooled, pour 1 cup of sauce into bag. Seal bag, and refigerate at least 2 hours. Reserve remaining sauce (I just kept it in the saucepan and stuck it in the fridge).
3. In another resealable plastic bag, mix the flour, salt, and pepper. Remove chicken from fridge. Drain out excess sauce. Add marinated chicken pieces to flour mixture, and shake to coat.
4. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place chicken in skillet, and brown on both sides. Remove to paper towels, and cover with aluminum foil.
5. Remove reserved sauce from the fridge. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Mix together cornstarch and 2 TBS water, and stir into sauce. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon sauce over chicken. Terrific served over rice and a side of steamed veggies.
No comments:
Post a Comment