Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Crock Pot Chicken & Dumplings

This is Emily Ellingson's recipe and I think it is awesome.

Makes 6 servings
4 Tbsp. butter
1 onion, chopped
3 lbs. chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
2 cups chicken broth
4 stalks celery, chopped
1 Tbsp. minced parsley
1 small bag baby carrots
1 tsp. black pepper
salt to taste
1/2 tsp. allspice, ground
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 Tbsp. flour
2 cups Bisquick mix
2/3 cup water
In a large skillet, brown chicken breast in half of the butter.  Place in crock pot.  Add remaining butter to skillet and brown onion.  Add to crock pot.  Brown remaining ingredients except heavy cream, flour, Bisquick mix and water to crock pot.  Cook on low 5-7 hours or high 3 hours.  Mix heavy cream and flour together and add to crock pot to thicken.  Stir.  Mix Bisquick and water to form thick batter.  Drop on top of chicken mixture.  Cook 30 minutes on high before serving.  (I'm sure you could leave out the cooking wine, but if you want to use it, a bottle is about $2 in the vinegar section.  I used it and this turned out very good.)  I also cook the dumplings about an hour so they aren't doughy.  

No comments: