I found several crock pot recipes on the internet and finally settled on one again from Allrecipes.com. Because I was planning on 48 people, I significantly changed the recipe. So, here is what Allrecipes.com had:
Marmalade-Glazed Carrots
Ingredients
2 pounds baby carrots
1/2 cup orange marmalade
3 tablespoons cold water, divided
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Directions:
1. In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the carrots, marmalade, 1 tablespoon water, brown sugar, butter and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until carrots are tender.
2. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; stir into carrot mixture. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened. Serve with a slotted spoon.
I didn’t have any orange marmalade, but had purchased some orange juice concentrate. I also didn’t want to get into a lot of spices, but hoped to keep things simple. So, here is my recipe! You can alter it how you like to feed your own masses, little or big. I don’t think I have ever prayed so profoundly over food before! I definitely didn’t want soggy carrots, yet was nervous putting so many carrots in each crock pot. In the end, they turned out A dente and savory. Just as I had hoped!
Orange-Glazed Crock Pot Carrots (Emily Style!)
Ingredients
2 – 5lb bags of carrots divided into 3 medium crock pots set on low. This meant each crock pot was about 2/3 full.
3 sticks of butter melted
1 ½ cup water
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper (or less!)
1 can of orange juice concentrate
Cinnamon to taste
½ cup cold water and 2 T cornstarch mixed
Directions:
Mix butter, water, brown sugar, salt, pepper and orange juice well, spoon over carrots. Lightly dust carrots with cinnamon. Cook on low in crock pot for 7 hours, stirring once or twice. The sugar in the glaze will pull out the liquid in the carrots so you will end up with a lot more liquid in the carrots. Just before serving, pour in the cornstarch mixture to thicken the sauce.
No comments:
Post a Comment