Thursday, October 29, 2009

Apple Danish

I have been craving an apple danish lately, so found a recipe on Allrecipes.com and, ran with it.  Below is the recipe, though instead of filling, I used a jar of my canned apple pie filling and I added an element of cream cheese filling to it too.  Sinful, I know.  It was good!


Ingredients

1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (105 degrees to 115 degrees)
5 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 cup cold butter (no substitutes)
1 cup warm milk (110 to 115 degrees F)
2 eggs, beaten

FILLING:
1 1/2 cups chopped, peeled tart apples
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter (no substitutes), melted

CREAM CHEESE FILLING:
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, diced
3/4 cup white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons sour cream

GLAZE:
2 cups confectioners' sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and lemon peel; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in the yeast mixture, milk and eggs by hand. turn onto a floured surface; knead about 20 times (dough will be slightly sticky). Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

For filling, combine the apples, walnuts, sugar and cinnamon; set aside. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each into an 18-in. x 15-in. rectangle; brush with butter. Sprinkle with filling to within 1/2 in of edges. Starting with a short side, fold one third of the side over filling; repeat with other side, making a 15-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Pinch seams to seal. Cut each into 15 slices. Twist each slice a few times; pinch ends together, forming a small circle. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15-20+ minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm rolls.

Additional notes:
When I added the cream cheese filling it took the bottom of the danish longer to cook.  I added 5 minutes cooking time onto the recipe, but you may need to go longer. 
 
As you can tell from my picture, I braided my dough instead of followed the recipe's instructions.
 
The second time I made this recipe, I didn't do the cream cheese filling, and split the dough into quarters.  Making 4 smallers ones helped with the cooking time and didn't feel so overwhelmed when it came time to eat. 

No comments: