This and cream cheese frosting are about the only frostings I like. I've never made this frosting from scratch but found a great recipe from allrecipes.com. I was delightfully surpsied how easy it is. No more store bought for us! Here is the recipe. A lot of the reviews suggested putting 1.5 T of corn starch in the evaporated milk to help it thicken. I did this and it was great. I also put only about 1/2 cup of pecans and let the mixture get to a boil to help it thicken.
German Chocolate Cake Frosting II
Ingredients
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup white sugar
3 egg yolk, beaten with 1 teaspoon water
1/2 cup margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup flaked coconut
Directions
In a large saucepan combine evaporated milk, sugar, egg yolks, margarine and vanilla. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thick. Remove from heat and stir in pecans and coconut. Spread on cake while still warm.
No comments:
Post a Comment