Sunday, June 8, 2008

Chicken Tortilla Soup

INGREDIENTS:
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
3 tablespoons margarine
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 (14 ounce) cans chicken
broth
4 cups half-and-half
1 (10.75 ounce) can
condensed cream of chicken
soup
1 cup fresh salsa
1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
6 boneless, chicken breast
halves - cooked, skinned
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 (1.27 ounce) packet dry fajita
seasoning
3 tablespoons chopped fresh
cilantro
16 ounces tortilla chips
8 ounces shredded Monterey
Jack cheese
1-2 cans black beans

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a large pot over medium heat, saute the garlic and onion in the butter or margarine for 5 minutes. Add flour and stir well, cooking for 1 minute more. Add the broth and half-and-half. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.
2. Add the soup, salsa, corn, chicken, cumin, fajita seasoning and 2 tablespoons cilantro. Stir and continue to heat for 15 minutes. Crumble tortilla chips into individual bowls, add 1/2 ounce shredded cheese to each bowl and ladle in soup. Top each bowl with more crumbled chips, remaining 1/2 ounce cheese and remaining 1 tablespoon cilantro, and serve.

I got this recipe from Allrecipes.com through Shelley. It is super yummy, and I add black beans to beef it up a little. I also use less chicken since my kids are not big fans. This recipe makes a lot, so if you just have small kids you could easily cut it in half, or eat it the next day.

2 comments:

Shelley said...

This soup really is so great!! Definetely add the black beans and some sliced avocado on the side is so amazing!! I haven't made this for a while, I need to. Glad you like, Tammy!!

Shelley said...

I misspelled definitely. I'm a dork.